Sunday, May 20, 2012

Pound Cake ? Yes Please!

Jerry has quite a sweet tooth. He says regularly "What do we sweet to have to eat? Don't you feel like having a small bite, you know, just something delectable to end the day with, with that perfect cuppa tea?" He's quite the Englishman with his tea and cookies and fond memories of trifle and devonshire cream.


This weekend, Jerry said, "Why don't you try to make pound cake? How can you beat that homemade taste?"   So, the loving wife that I am, I set out to make pound cake. Oh my gosh, so good! What's not to like when  you whip up a cake with four ingredients, a pound of butter, a pound of flour, a pound of sugar, and a pound of eggs?


Jerry has a childlike antcipation when it comes to homemade sweets. It was rather amusing to watch him walk by the oven several times, open it, take in the aroma, watch the timer, and anticipate the cake coming out and taking a bite. I was impressed by his patience, waiting it to cool.  So, the cake is for Jerry and I'll take a nibble or two, just to give him company... Happy Anniversary to Us!!





What' is also amusing is that our dog, Cooper has a sixth sense about food. As soon as the oven door opened, he came running to the kitchen, eyed the cake, looked at me, looked at the cake again, and made sure that I knew he wanted that cake and that he was going to get a slice.


Cooper is a food motivated dog. He knows exactly when we eat so he comes to us looking hungry and on the verge of starvation. He is a master at making me feel guilty if I don't share our bounty with him.


Here's a picture of Cooper enjoying his liver flavored ice cream. Only once it was finished did he come up for air.





1 comment: